When my little sister, Liz, and I are compared, one of the main titles that I've always been referred to as (besides"the tall, older, more outgoing one") is the writer/bookworm. For as long as I can remember, I've always loved literature, especially writing on my own, and I've always had a book that I'm working on on my nightstand (okay, so sometimes they collect dust...but that's one of the joys of being a stressed out junior with scarce leisure time).
As a young child I was always read to at night like everyone else by my parents, but my love for literature was clearly evident when I began writing my own books. I remember waking up on weekend mornings, grabbing the stash of my mom's college looseleaf papers, the old stapler, markers, stickers, and the like, sitting at the kitchen table, and writing one story after the other. Featuring witches, evil creatures, horses, and everything imaginable, I wrote each story with the same exact plot and decorated it with pictures, stickers, and glitter. And, of course, nearly twenty staples on the side to hold it all together. My mom still has each and every one of the stories, and she doesn't seem to hesitate when my friends are over to bring them out at exactly the right time. Thanks, Mom.
The writing didn't stop there - just ask my best friend, Brianne! Her and I have been inseperable since kindergarten, and one of the millions of our memories is writing together. When we worked on our series, titled "The Cool Princess," we had to create a fort between my bed and dresser with a huge blanket, chairs, hair clips, and pillows and then proceed to work on it inside. So, all in all, I guess you could say that my writing over the years has been influenced by even the most "extreme."
Presently, I still hold that love for writing and literature, even though I have a harder time finding time in my day to enjoy a book or work on my writing. However, being editor of The Maroon this past year has expanded my borders - once restricted primarily to creative writing, I now enjoy writing in terms of journalism. I definately expect to be writing and reading well into my future.
Yikes! I just typed this long response and, when I tried to post it, it disappeared. Eeek! But I love what you said about writing stories, witches and evil creatures--complete with stickers. And "The Cool Princess"! Love it. Makes me wonder, too, if you think your parents' reading habits impacted you (and why they may have impacted you more than Liz....). I hear you, too, when you say that you don't have much time to read..... soooooo true. So sad but true!
ReplyDeleteOh gosh, I used to do the same thing and I totally have a queue of books that are waiting to be read. When I was little a friend would come over to my house every week (same babysitter) and we would write story, after story, after story! Though in all honesty I think I convinced my mom to throw it all out. I still sometimes will have some random idea and think about how it could be expanded into a story but like you I am way over my head in school work! I like this a lot, so keep up the good work!
ReplyDeleteIt's great that you have broadened your horizons with joining the school newspaper. I always look forward to reading your articles and it shows thast the making of a good writer is a good reader.
ReplyDeleteAw it's cute that you would make books when you were little and it's funny that your mom will still take them out and show people! I remember making crazy books too, except mine never really had a plot..haha. :)
ReplyDeleteI think it is so great that you have found something you love. I am still trying to find that something. It's funny that you used to write about witches and fairy creatures, i remember those days.
ReplyDelete